Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wellesley Island, New York


Mid July found us camping at Wellesley Island State Park in New York on the Saint Lawrence River, the area called The Thousand Islands.  We tagged along with my son Corey, daughter-in-law Mandy, granddaughters Kaylee and Haydyn and also Mandy's parents Mike and Sue along with their friends Ron and Vicky.  Daughter Shanna and the boys Austin and Logan joined us on the weekend.

Camping, boating and fishing on the river is an annual event.  This was our first opportunity to join them.  The week would conclude with a fish fry.  We just needed to catch the fish.

 Mandy and Corey occupied one of these side-by-side tents...



while the other was shared by cousins Kaylee and Haydyn.  We towed our fifth-wheel to the Island.  I love that our home can go with us! 


 Mike and Sue generously shared their boat with us.  We tooled up and down the river with G's mustache blowing in the breeze.  We fished...



and went tubing.

Shanna and the boys joined us over the weekend and pitched their tent on our site.  All four of my grandchildren got to boat, swim, tube and fish until they were exhausted by all the fun. 


Austin, Haydyn, Shanna and Logan


Kay and her Northern Pike

Kaylee caught two large Northern Pike and Haydyn hooked a sizable Perch.  We all caught fish, but not all were keepers.


Haydyn with her catch of the day: A Perch.


A good day of fishing.

Side trips included a boat tour that took us to Heart Island to see Boldt Castle and Singer Castle on Dark Island.


Boldt Castle


Dark Island's Singer Castle

One evening, a group of us went out fishing.  We were not having any luck and finally gave up.  I still had a worm on my hook and decided to cast my line into the river from the dock while the others buttoned the boat up for the night.  Immediately, a fish hit my line and I reeled in a small Rock Bass, tossed him back and cast in again.  Another hit!  This time I reeled in a small Perch.  My fellow fishermen were getting slightly annoyed by my instant success.  However, the Perch was too small and had to go back.  As Mandy was snapping on the boat cover she suggested that I catch his big brother.

I cast my line in a third time and immediately got another hit!  This time I reeled in the big brother.  My fellow fishermen were grumbling in earnest jealously now.

"How's this one?"  I called out dangling a good sized Perch from my pole.  "I think I caught the brother."

At that point, Mike told Gordon to throw me in.  But, when everyone realized I had a keeper their thoughts turned to the fish fry instead.  It felt good to contribute to the fish fry.


Kaylee and Haydyn tubing.


View of the Saint Lawrence River from my lucky dock.


Kay and Corey


We spotted this floating RV boat on the river.  However, we were not inspired to do this with our Cameo.



Osprey nest on the river; a relative of the eagle.


River barge


Haydyn and Austin






Logan


A good time was had by all!













2 comments:

  1. I keep thinking I am going to get to the 1000 Islands, but so far it hasn't happened. Maybe next time. :)

    ReplyDelete